Our Favorite Healthy Aging Tips for 2022
By our Age Assured Allies, professional aging experts who help our Age Assured members age in place. Note: All health recommendations are dependent on your personal health, so always talk to your doctor for guidance.
Allie is a certified Mayo Clinic wellness coach with a B.S. in dietetics. She is passionate about helping older adults maintain a joyful and active lifestyle.
Practice mindfulness and gratitude:
Support your mental health and wellbeing all year long with this short and simple meditation. Sit comfortably with your lower back supported, and set a timer for five minutes. Close your eyes, focus on your breath, and, until the timer goes off, repeat a positive affirmation or think of something that brings you joy. Open your eyes and observe how you feel after this break from everyday worries. Remind yourself of this peaceful release throughout your day.
Support your immune system
- Drink more water: Water is free and it supports every function in your body, especially the immune system.
- Increase your movement: Marching in place or seated chair exercises can be done from the comfort of home if it’s challenging to get out.
- Get more rest: Arrange your schedule so you can sleep in or take an afternoon nap. Enjoy that time and don’t feel guilty for resting.
Kasaundra is an ACE (American Council on Exercise) certified health coach with a B.S. in Nutrition and Dietetics. She is passionate about preventative health and empowering older adults to age successfully.
- Soups, stews or broth
- Sugar popsicles, smoothies and milkshakes
- Slices of fresh fruit or lemon to spruce up a glass of water – or dilute juice
- Fresh fruits and vegetables